Sunday, July 3, 2011

Sinfully Delicious ... Red Velvet Cupcakes

It seems to me that everyone's favorite cupcake is red velvet, which means, I make a lot of red velvet cupcakes despite my less then enthusiastic feelings towards this particular flavor. Don't get me wrong, it's a delicious cake, but I would rather eat a lemony cake any day. what truly makes this cake good is the frosting. In fact cream cheese frosting is so good, it makes this cake worth eating, and it keeps people coming back for more. 


Ironically, my cupcake journey began with red velvet cake. I had a friend who loved cupcakes, it was her birthday and I wanted to do something nice for her. So, I asked her what her about her favorite type of cake, to which she responded red velvet. I went to the store the weekend before her birthday to find a box mix (yes, you heard correctly) but there wasn't one to be found at my local grocery store. So I went home, and started looking up recipes for red velvet cupcakes online. They were of course all over the web. I choose one at random, deciding that it didn't look too difficult, and did a practice run. My first cake from scratch and everyone absolutely loved them. 


So I baked them for my friends birthday, mixing up the colors (if I remember correctly I made purple and green cake) and the rest, as they say is history. I've been regularly baking cupcakes ever since. And I've made more red velvet then any other cupcake. 


I've made them for my best friends daughter's birthday as one of three types of cupcakes. It was an Alice in Wonderland themed party. So I made the cupcakes representative of the Queen of Hearts. The red seemed like the way to go, and I colored the frosting, and used the awesome two tone frosting technique I learned at annies-eats.com 


They were more popular then the chocolate cupcakes. 


My next set of red velvet cupcakes, were actually minis for Halloween that have been seen multiple times already with gruesome white chocolate zombie brains on top. 


I took a break from red velvet after that, until a former student of mine asked me to make some Valentine's Day cupcakes for her bar, Jay Dee's in Alhambra. So I brought the red velvet recipe out once again. This time decorating in a much more cheerful way. Sprinkles and hearts, with pretty white frosting, and pink wrappers. They just screamed lovey dovey kisses. XOXO 


The next batch, happened today for a pre 4th of July potluck. Different wrappers, and some blue food coloring, make them look completely different. Add a red peanut butter M&M on top, and what a yummy presentation. All of the cupcakes were gone by the end of the evening. And I even got a lot of compliments including one friend telling me he "could drink the frosting." 

No comments:

Post a Comment