Friday, July 1, 2011

Erin Go Bragh

Holidays need cupcakes, that's all there is to it. So everytime a holiday comes around, baking ensues. And not just any baking but themed baking. Who can resist cupcakes that remind you of the season, whether it be peppermint mocha at Christmas, pumpkin spice for Halloween, or apple pie for Thanksgiving. Each cupcake is a little piece of happiness, in a adorable themed wrapper. And for those us of Irish decent, or those of us that wish we were, St. Patrick's Day is no different.

So what do you get when you have a cupcake minded person, baking cupcakes for this Irish holiday? I can tell you it's not your average cupcake. Just think of what says St. Paddy's Day to most people, is it the amazing Irish landscapes with their forty shades of green, the celtic heritage, the castles ... Not really, for most people it's the pubs. And by pubs, I actually mean the booze. So each and every cupcake I made had Irish liquor in them, and each of them was superb.

I started with my favorite cupcake, you've seen it here before, the Irish Cake Bomb. A decadent Guinness Chocolate cupcake, with a chocolate Bailey's ganache, and to die for Bailey's buttercream frosting. This cupcake is happiness in a tiny personal cake.

Since these have been done, and done again. In fact recipes abound in the blog world (mine is a combination of several different recipes, with my own twist.) I couldn't just make the Irish Cake Bombs.

So I tried two new cupcake recipes, both created by your truly. The first was an Irish Coffee cupcake with whipped cream frosting, sprinkled with cinnamon. Yes this cupcake did include it's own booze, Irish whiskey to be specific. I used Bushmills, but that's only because it was on sale.


As you can see these cupcakes were delightful. The light mocha color of the coffee whiskey cake, set off the fluffy whipped cream frosting. And the combination together, ah-mazing ... A perfect breakfast cupcake, did I say breakfast, I mean a perfect after dinner cupcake because who, I ask, would have a cupcake for breakfast.

Of course the cupcakes didn't stop there. Just two types is not enough of a variety, especially when 6 dozen cupcakes are needed, so I needed another variety, something that would please the tastebuds, but different then the current selections.

Ah ... I finally had it. Bailey's cream cupcakes. A Bailey's and cream cheese cupcake with cream cheese frosting. Oh, this cupcake was delightful, delicious, delovely. The Bailey's flavor was in the creamy cupcake. A wonderful Irish cream, that was perfectly complimented by the cream cheese frosting. It reminded me of the fantastic Bailey's cheesecake I had over and over again the last time I was in Ireland.

The shamrock rings were my favorite touch, despite the lack of leprechauns and pots of gold. But at least it lead to an awesome cupcake.

No comments:

Post a Comment