Thursday, October 20, 2011

Super Mario Baby Shower - A New Red Velvet

A few weeks ago I had the privilege of co-hosting a baby shower for my best friend, which of course meant baking. But we needed sweets that went along with trying to maintain a semblance of health (although they are still desserts.) What this meant was reworking one of her favorite cake recipes, making a cookie inspired by fall, and then dressing it 1up style. 


So her favorite cupcake is red velvet, which has oil in it, kinda a lot of oil in it. Which if you are trying to eat healthy at all, oil may be good in small quantities, but in large, not so much. Plus it's easy to replace. Also, whole wheat, it's part of the health craze, so you gotta to try it, and whole wheat and cakes, they don't normally get along. But, that's in part what I had to work with. So I took my red velvet recipe, looked it over, and started to make the changes. Apples sauce, whole white wheat (it exists and is great for baking) and light cream cheese in the frosting. You might be thinking bleh, who would want that, and I can tell you, my guests, each and every one of them. The extras were confiscated by a guest to give to her husband who loves my cupcakes. What also helped is they actually kinda looked like the 1up mushrooms in the video game with white chocolate discs sprinkled on the top. 


But cupcakes was definitely not enough, so I made some cookies too, pumpkin spice cookies. And these were made with very little butter, a lot of pumpkin spice, and pumpkin puree instead of oil. They were soft, light, and fluffy rolled in sugar and pumpkin spice. They reminded everyone of snickerdoodles, with just a hint of pumpkin. 


Interested in ordering from Criminal Cakes? Click here

No comments:

Post a Comment