Thursday, October 20, 2011

An Actual Cake

By now you've read a lot of entries about cupcakes, but that's pretty much it. You are probably thinking that's all we do, alas it's not, but there is one dessert that I have struggled with, and finally was able to make, and that's cake. Yeah, cake, just a normal cake, not miniature or individual, but a full size decorated cake. And my struggles are in no way new, I've spent a lot of time struggling to make cakes. I've tried for birthdays, baby showers, even promotions to make a celebratory cake, and they never look pretty. They taste great, even if they are falling apart and shamefully decorated. 


But recently, very recently I finally succeeded. This is definitely a case of if at first you don't succeed try, try again. Back in September it was one of my close friend's birthday, and she loves my cupcakes, but I really wanted her to have a birthday cake. We were going out for dinner, and I thought it would be a nice treat. Her favorite cake is the white chocolate raspberry cheesecake, but I had just made those, and she like most anything I bake, so I decided on another combination that involved raspberries. A lemon cake, with a lemon cream cheese and fresh raspberry filling, and raspberry buttercream frosting.


The three-layer cake was moist and lemony, as was the filling. The combination of lemon and raspberry is one of the bests, so the filling with the fresh raspberries was sweet and tangy, neither fruit being overly sweet. The frosting continued the wonderful flavor of the raspberries, tying every bite together. 

Interested in ordering from Criminal Cakes? Click here

No comments:

Post a Comment